Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wanted: The Grounded Muse

I function most productively with a muse - a friend or a teacher or an article that gets me thinking, writing, researching, or creating. It's really hard not to be stimulated in this way. And hopefully there's a chance to continue developing the conversation, because I often move ahead with that expectation, whether its realistic to expect a continuing engagement or is just an assumed or hoped for wish. When it's a fantasy, or simply a poorly planned reality, there's a strong chance of disappointment, which usually causes my mood to take a nose-dive, and become disillusioned or get stuck and have to withdraw to recover....If I pick the right kind of muse, though, and proceed with a healthy dose of both honest desire and realistic expectations, then I might get the opportunity to work through the issues that arise with the people involved and move on to the 'advanced level' - or at least the things I work through won't be as frustrating for as long the next time they surface. That's the best kind of muse to have. If you can't get this kind of muse, I suggest being a little more detached from your lofty visions and expectations so that you can function with less disruption, and then maybe things will work out just fine on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment